Tuesday, October 30, 2007

In the Orkneys




If you were wondering...

Today is our last morning here in the Orkney Islands. We came here via ferry after we left Inverness where we drove our hire-car to John o' Groats and Gill Bay to board. It dropped us off near Kirkwall from where we drove to Stromness.

I've enjoyed the neolithic archaeology - Skara Brae, Maes Howe, the Stones of Stenness and so on - while Amy has enjoyed the accents.

We stayed overnight here in Kirkwall in a little B&B that is plastered all over with an insane variety of garden ornaments whilst the inside positively drips with stuffed toys of all sorts. The woman who runs the place is an "explainer". I stood there through a three minute lecture on how to open and close the doors which I could hardly understand because of the density of her accent.

I never really thought that people said things like dinnae and cannae, but now I know it's true...

The Orkneys have been extraordinarily beautiful besides being rainy, haily and COLD. We went yesterday to one of the outlying islands and found ourselved in a birdwatchers "hide" that came equipped with binoculars and telescopes and were lucky to be joined by a tean from the organisation that runs and maintains these sorts of facilities who explained to us how they maintained the wetland - very interesting. We also found and explored the Burroughstown Broch, and it was interesting to note the similarity between this building form and the round houses of Skara Brae.

We're both well and having a great time. More photos when we are not on a public access machine!

4 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Tell us more about the way the Orkney people speak. It sounds fascinating.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Bloggerator said...

Well, for a start "S" is "SH".

Bluebear Jeff said...

Yes, pictures, we do want pictures.

Glad that you're having a great time.


-- Jeff

Anonymous said...

I see you have fround the Monolith from 2001.

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going.